I do adore risotto!
I started making it years ago after we visited an awesome restaurant in Charleston SC, and I told my spouse “oh I can make this”..
And so I did 🙂
I made this last night for family who are staying with us for a few weeks.. My daughter had said she wouldn’t be home for dinner, and then after finding out I was making risotto, she changed her mind. LOL!!
Here you go:
8-10 cups HOT good quality chicken broth
¼ cup butter – do not use margarine
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped onion
1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
3 Tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups finely grated parmesan cheese (can use more or less to taste)
Salt and fresh grated black pepper
Extra crispy bacon bits/chopped green onions/more parmesan
1) Bring chicken stock to a boil in saucepan, reduce heat to low, and cover to keep hot
2) In another heavy bottomed saucepan, melt ¼ cup butter over medium low heat, add in onion and sauté until tender but not browned (10 minutes or so).
3) Add in garlic, cook about 2 minutes.
4) Increase heat slightly and add in the rice, stir for 1 minute.
5) Slowly add in 1 ½ cups hot broth with a ladle, boil gently, stirring until all broth is absorbed.
6) Add in another 1 cup broth, and stir until absorbed.
7) Add in ½ cup broth at a time, allowing the broth to absorb before adding another ½ cup. Do this until you have used all the broth, stirring until rice is tender and creamy. This should take about 30 minutes.
8) Stir in 3 Tbs butter and the parmesan cheese.
9) Season with salt and pepper
I seared scallops and put them over the top, and sprinkled bacon bits, fresh garlic chives and more parmesan over the top..